Client Rights & Service Manuals
Know Your Rights
The Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (MCCSS) has provided a new online resource re: Children and Young Persons’ Rights. The Rights Resource is intended to support children and youth in understanding their rights in child-friendly language and direct them to someone they can talk to if they have questions. It also acts as a resource for parents, caregivers and staff to support and understand the rights of children and young persons.
To access the resource, follow this link: https://www.ontario.ca/page/children-and-young-persons-rights-resource.
The Ontario Ombudsman also has materials available to help you understand your rights and the services offered by their office. Go to:
- MCCSS – Children’s and Young Persons Rights Resource Poster(PDF English)
- MCCSS Children’s and Young Persons Rights Resource Poster (PDF French) [to come]
- Ontario Ombudsman – Know Your Rights in Care brochure(PDF English)
- Ontario Ombudsman – Know Your Rights in Care brochure(PDF French)
- Ontario Ombudsman – Know Your Rights in Care – INDIGENOUS brochure(PDF English)
- Ontario Ombudsman – Know Your Rights in Care – INDIGENOUS brochure (PDF French)
- OACAS – Know Your Legal Rights [English]
- OACAS – Know Your Legal Rights [French]
- The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child poster(PDF)
- The United Nations Rights of a Child poster in child friendly language(PDF)
Legal Support for Non-English Speaking Families
As our community becomes more and more diverse, the need for service in a different language increases. Non-English-speaking families can seek legal counsel who offer services in the language they speak and understand as follows:
- Go to this website:https://lso.ca/public-resources/finding-a-lawyer-or-paralegal/lawyer-and-paralegal-directory
- Go to “Advanced Search”
- Type in the postal code/city of your choosing under “Location”
- Click the language of your choosing under “Languages”
- Press “Find”
The following PDFs compiled by AXIS mediation centre also show lists of family law lawyers in the nearby cities who can offer services in different languages.
- Legal Aid Ontario Family Lawyers – Sep 2020– This is the most up-to-date list of Family Lawyers who accept child protection cases on LAO certificates.
- Brantford Family Law Lawyers
- The AXIS List Waterloo WRC 10 May 2021
- The AXIS List St. CatharinesWelland 10 May 2021
- The AXIS List SimcoeCayuga 10 May 2021
- The AXIS List Hamilton 10 May 2021
- The AXIS List Guelph & Wellington 10 May 2021