What We Do
Mandate & Legislation
Child and Family Services of Grand Erie (CFS GE) is an agency mandated by the Province of Ontario through the Child, Youth and Family Services Act (2017) (CYFSA) to ensure the protection of children from abuse and neglect. The Child, Youth and Family Services Act (2017) (CYFSA) includes the mandate, function, and responsibilities of a Children’s Aid Society.
Our agency serves the communities of the City of Brantford, Counties of Brant, Haldimand and Norfolk, and Mississaugas of The Credit First Nation. CFS GE is governed by a Board of Directors made up of members of our community, as well as appointed representatives from Mississaugas of The Credit First Nation and Six Nations of the Grand River. Any member of the public living or working in the communities we serve is eligible to serve on our Board of Directors.
Functions of a Children’s Aid Society:
- investigate allegations of and complete assessments of where children may be in need of protection;
- protect children where necessary;
- provide guidance, counselling and other services to families for protecting children or for the prevention of circumstances requiring the protection of children;
- provide care for children assigned or committed to the Society’s care under the CYFSA;
- place children for adoption under Part VIII (Adoption and Adoption Licensing);
- uphold the rights inherent to First Nations, Metis and Inuit children and families under the Child Youth and Family Services Act (CYFSA) and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP).
- facilitate customary care; and
- perform any other duties as determined by the CYFSA or the regulations of any other Act.