CFS GE commits to working with all parents on a level playing field – regardless of gender. Safety for all is the primary concern, with that of the children first and foremost. Whether you are a mom, a dad, in a traditional or same sex relationship does not matter. Our goal is to find pathways to healthy parenting and outcomes for children and families.
Please read our Statement of Public Commitment 2SLGBTQIA+ issued 2023-05-16 in support of PRIDE flags and other important symbols that matter.
Helpful Resources re. Gender Based Discrimination and Violence:
- Nova Vita – https://novavita.org/
- Domestic Violence – Staying Safe during a Public Health Crisis – Traffic Light (pdf)
- Domestic Violence – Safety Strategies Green-Infographic (pdf)
- Western University – Centre for Research & Education on Violence Against Women & Children Knowledge Hub – http://www.vawlearningnetwork.ca/knowledge_hub/index.html
- Intimate Partner Abuse Against Men – https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/health-promotion/stop-family-violence/publications/intimate-partner-abuse-against-men.html
- Supporting Survivors of Domestic Violence during COVID-19 – Supporting Survivors of DV during COVID (pdf)
- Seven Protective Factors that Promote Resilience in Children Exposed to Intimate Partner Violence (IPV) – 7-Protective-Factors-that-Promote-Childrens-Resilience (pdf)
Resources and Supports Available for LGBTQ2S+ Community:
With many thanks to “The Bridge Brant”: https://thebridgebrant.com/
- Kyle’s Place – support for trans/non-binary people in Hamilton / Brantford /Halton / Niagara / Simcoe.
- Trans and non-binary person in need of groceries / meds delivery / drive to appointments / peer support, can get in touch with Kyle’s Place through email (email@example.com) or a message to Kyle’s Place FaceBook page.
- An article on “How Queer and Marginalized communities can take care of one another during COVID-19” can be found here.
- Facebook Page – CareMongering-Brantford: Brantford Community Response to COVID-19.
- An infographic to help understand what COVID-19 related benefit you might qualify for can be found here.
LGBTQIA+ Mental Health Resources
The Trevor Project
Text START to 678678
The National Center for Transgender Equality
The Association of Gay and Lesbian Psychiatrists
LGBTQ Psychotherapists of Color Directory
The Q Card
LGBT National Help Center
SAGE LGBT Elder Hotline
LGBT National Youth Talkline
It Gets Better Project
Learning Materials for Adults
Seeking Support: Challenges that Trans Youth Face with Kieran Duby – “She Is Your Neighbour”
- For more than 20 years, Kieran Duby has worked as a Children’s Services Worker at Family and Children’s Services of Guelph and Wellington County. In this episode, he talks about the challenges that transgender youth face when seeking support for domestic violence. Kieran also shares his perspective as a trans man and explains why it’s so important for young people to have positive LGBTQ2S+ role models. Join in the conversation! Use the hashtag #SheIsYourNeighbour and connect with us on social media at @WomensCrisisSWR. Learn more at sheisyourneighbour.com. Listen on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/she-is-your-neighbour/id1530439183?i=1000495484815
- What Bystanders Can Do To Help – bystander-basics-nff_0 (pdf)
Black LGBT2SQ+ Literature
- Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
- Unapologetic by Charlene Carruthers: A Black, queer, and feminist mandate for radical movements
- Other Side Paradise by Staceyann Chin
- Zami: A new spelling of my name by Audre Lorde
- The Summer We Got Free by Mia Mckenzie
- No Ashes In The Fire by Darnell L. Moore
- Since I Laid My Burden Down by Brontez Purnell
- Real Life by Brandon Taylor
- Queer Returns by Rinaldo Walcott (*Canadian content*)
Black Feminist Literature
- Black Feminist Thought by Patricia Hill Collins
- Eloquent Rage: A Black feminist discovers her superpower, by Brittney Cooper
- Women Race Class by Angela Davis
- Aint I a Woman: Black women and feminism by Bell Hooks
- Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay
- Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde
- How We Get Free by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor
- In Search of our Mothers’ Gardens by Alice Walker